The MSA Group is looking for a motivated individual to join The MSA Team as a Environmental Consultant.
- In this role you have an opportunity to join a progressive environmental department with their primary focus on sustainability and technical water management (Efficiency, reticulation, water balances), environmental authorisations, ESG reporting and mine closures .
- At the MSA Group we offer an experience that embraces diversity, promoting equal opportunity and career development and flexible working arrangements.
Our environmental department consists of a team of environmental professionals who have practical hands-on experience in the extractives sector. Our team is collaborative, empowering, welcoming and fun. The heads of the departments within MSA are confident leaders with extensive experience in their respective field, who value and support every member of their team. The interaction between specialist areas of geology, exploration, mineral resource and mining are encouraged to ensure a holistic perspective to our solutions that makes them value adding and impactful.
Looking for career development and progression? Join us!
About the team
MSA Environmental assists clients with environmental compliance, operational control and management solutions, risk and liability assessments, reporting and strategic development within the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) fields of water, rehabilitation and closure. You will be working as part of this multi-disciplined team on a variety of projects in these areas but with a primary focus on water management itself, its reticulation, efficiency, authorisation and reporting.
Although principally concentrating on the extractive sector we do encounter and engage with other sectors where our expertise fits. This along with our core mining focus is done extensively across Africa (with a core focus in the Southern African Development Countries (SADC) but also in other regions and continents such as the United Kingdom and central Asia. Our experience base extends across most mineral commodities in the extractives sector from precious gems and metals to bulk minerals.
Join our fast-paced and growing team to work with like-minded individuals who are passionate about offering specialist consulting services on national and international projects and who believe in making a difference.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you.
We’re looking for someone with the following qualification/experience/skills and mind set:
- Qualification – BSc and Honours degree
- Postgraduate Degree in Environmental Sciences/Ecology/Earth Science/Water or similar field is required
- Registered Professional (SACNASP and/or EPSA )
- Auditing capability and experience a nice to have
- Additional Studies in International Standards, Water Chemistry, Hydrology, ESG Reporting frameworks and Standards will be favoured
- 4-7+ years of environmental consulting experience within a consulting firm (preferably in the extractives sector favoured)
- Clear understanding of environmental consulting topics i.e. Mine environmental management, reporting and sustainability, Risk and Impact Assessments, water chemistry and water reticulation management, Water Efficiency and water use licensing processes (WULAs)
- Clear, accurate and logical report writing skills, with strong evaluation and interpretation of information and data.
- Able to provide accurate and professional technical advice on broad environmental
- Sound knowledge of South African Environmental Legislation (i.e. NEMA, NWA and MPRDA) including the authorisation processes.
- Extensive knowledge on the generation of regulatory supporting documentation required including, but not limited to performance audit reports, water balances, monitoring and Integrated Waste and Water Management Plans (IWWMP).
- Assist clients with Environmental Technical Operations Implementation– risks & optimal controls/mitigating measures across the water subject area.
- Be able to conduct audits, inspections and reviews (internal, international standards or regulatory compliance based). This includes Due Diligence processes and contribute/ participate linking to other disciplines such as engineering, mining, processing and mineral resources.
- Have an understanding and exposure to the Mining/extractives sector. Experience in the Oil and Gas sectors (is an advantage).
- Working knowledge of but not limited to Equator Principals, World Bank standards, International Finance Corporation requirements (IFC), ISO14001 and ISO9001 management systems, International Council for Metals and mining (ICMM) Frameworks and Guidance.
- Spatial awareness, extensive advanced excel working knowledge, database management and GIS understanding and basic operation and application (an advantage).
- Strong ethical position regarding conflicts of interest, bias and transparency
- Ability to engage with clients and build strong professional relationships
- Strong analytical andproblem solving skills
- Good time and project management skills
- Demonstrable ability to manage others and work in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task, remain detailed while being delivery focused
- Strong articulation skills – verbal and written (Excellent English language skills).
- Occasional travel required (Local and international)
Why MSA Group?
At MSA Group, we create positively differentiated work experiences that enable our people to feel valued and achieve their full potential.
The MSA Group opens the door to a career that can cross borders virtually and physically across various countries globally to gain experience and access projects beyond our South African borders. Knowing that people work best in a variety of ways, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements to suit your working pattern.
We’re committed to continually building a safe, collaborative and respectful workplace, where all our people feel valued and accepted. We ensure our people are empowered with knowledge and with a better understanding of different cultures globally to support them in their transition into new working environments.
We are proud to have provided our people with on-the-job training from our specialist in the field, preparing them for global exposure and even greater career opportunities.
Sound exactly like the sort of role for you? Apply now!
By applying to this job, you will be assessed against the MSA Group Global Talent Standards. These standards were designed to provide our clients with an exceptional and consistent MSA Group employee experience globally
If you have any questions about the role, contact Dineo Bopape from our HR team at email@example.com.
We’d love to hear from you.
At MSA Group, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their background, experience, identity, ability or thinking style.
The preferred candidate will be subject to background screening
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org